Saturday, April 11, 2015

Professionalism: It's Required!




When companies list job openings, they include technical skills and soft skills required of applicants. Soft skills are desirable and include the ability to communicate, work well with others, solve problems, make ethical decisions, and appreciate diversity. Such skills bring a higher level of professionalism to any position.  After reviewing job postings in my career field, I created a list of most commonly required soft skills:
  • Independently perform responsible analytic work;
  • Make sound independent decisions within established guidelines;
  • Work collaboratively and effectively with project teams, internal and/or external units or individuals;
  • Communicate effectively, orally and in writing.

    Where do you rank in soft skills?

    When searching for a career, one must determine if they qualify. Technical skills are important but don't forget to determine where you rank for the soft skill set that is required.  As for where I rank with the soft skills for my career choice, I would like to say I'm 10's across the board. While I do feel I score a 10 in the first 3 items, I give myself an "improving 9" for communication. 

    Communication should be something that we seek to constantly improve upon since we live and work in a diverse world. Effective communication is necessary in leadership and promoting teamwork.  These are important areas in my career field.  As a result, I actively pursue ways to portray professionalism and improve communication daily.